30 September 2008

Film 2: Spin Cycle

Project 2: 5-minute film (or less), no dialogue, detailing a conflict

So hopefully by now everyone has seen Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog. Absolute genius. Anyway, I was sitting around and thought what a cool location a laundromat is. Well, to establish the conflict, what is something that laundromats--or washers and dryers--can do that can have a detrimental effect on us? Besides eating socks. Ever put a piece of paper in your jeans, send it through the wash, and have it be completely illegible? OK, so, inspiration. What would be important enough to lose? Answer: an aspiring actress' callback to an audition. Brilliant. Now we have a story.

So I wrote the treatment (movie told in story form in third person present) and started casting. I remembered this USC student I saw at auditions that I thought would be perfect for the role. Emailed her, she was available, so we set a date for the weekend. Good thing about being a student filmmaker: you don't have to pay for actors. It's nice to buy them lunch though. But no compensation other than food and a copy of the work is required.

Anyway, so I shot the film no problem. Edited no problem. Except I was kind of unsatisfied with the ending. I wasn't sure how to make it work. The ending I wanted (Version 2) felt almost tacked on, a forced ending. Also, the film ran 5:30--30 seconds too long. So I asked one of my professors for her feedback (director of Real Women Have Curves) and she helped me tighten it up and cut it down to 3:05. Lots of exposition needed to be cut, plus she wasn't a fan of the extra ending. So that's the version I screened. Version 1. Watch it before proceeding


Then I screened it and everyone in the class was disappointed with the lack of resolution. So Patricia (professor) asked me to add the ending and we'd screen it next class. So, below, Version 2.


I definitely like Version 2 better because I love that ending. I love the performance Taylor gave me, and I love the success the character achieves despite her earlier mishap. See if you can catch the plant (clue to the ending) earlier in the film. You might not because of the sub-par quality, but see if you can. 

That being said, I still almost feel like it's a cop out, that the ending feels tacked on. My other professor said, "It's like you have Act 1 and set up the conflict so well, then you jump to Act 3." Which is kind of understandable, because it's hard to do a full-out conflict in a short student film.

Anyway, which version do you prefer?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What is the stain? Looks gross...

-kelli

Unknown said...

whoa I just noticed that your blog knows who I am. What is their affiliation with gmail?! I'm creeped out.